I’m not sure if I’m subliminally trying to steer my little girl into a life of forestry and safaris or what, but this latest project sort of ended up having a “creatures in the wilderness” theme. She’s definitely the outdoorsy type, so she could end up being the camper that I never was. (I was raised in Alaska, but spent every camping trip moaning about the mosquitos, and convinced a grizzly was hot on my trail. I never wanted to fall asleep, because I was sure that darn bear was just waiting for me to drift off so he could pounce. If I had money of my own back then, I would have bought stock in bear bells. You guys don’t know what bear bells are? An Alaska thing I guess.)
As the weather here in NYC suddenly started to cool off, I realized Sadie is old enough to actually need a blanket to sleep under, now that she knows how to cover herself up. I found a super cheap (I think it was $9!) toddler sized duvet at IKEA, but I just hated all the duvet cover options they had. I poked around online for a couple of hours one night, trying to find some cuter options, and was just as unimpressed. Some of the prices these places charge for just awful stuff! And then realized that as much as I didn’t want to, I should just make a couple myself, since typical fabric widths are juuussst wide enough to make a toddler size cover without having to put a seam in there to make it wide enough.
I ordered a few different prints in 100% cotton fleece, and made one right away. The project was a little on the dull side, but Sadie ADORES it. Which is so sweet, and more than makes up for the boring factor. The first two days after I made it, she dragged it all over the apartment with her. I actually managed to keep my germaphobic mouth shut while her bedding dragged over the exact path our dirty stroller wheels take several times a day, and let her have her fun.
Her room isn’t particularly girly, with a color palate of mostly grays and blues, so this first fabric looks really at home in there.
I did the typical button closure at the bottom, with some cute decorative turquoise buttons, but oh man. My sewing machine basically chewed up and spat out every dang buttonhole because I neglected to interface the buttonhole area. Which is what coaxes my machine into making lovely buttonholes for me. I realized the problem after the second buttonhole, but it was midnight and I was exhausted and really wanted to be done. So I allowed the chewing and spitting to continue. Oh well.
Yikes. That is a rough buttonhole kids.
I have this fabric waiting for me to work up the steam to make another one. (Totally necessary because of the possibility of poop/pee explosions. Although I just realized I don’t have a backup of the actual duvet. And the poop/pee would definitely get in there. DRAT.)
More wilderness. But look! It’s French! I don’t speak a lick of French, but I imagine it says something about friends of the forest. Something like that. I happen to think this print is beyond adorable.
This one on the other hand…
I mean… I’m startled when I look at it. Every time. (It’s brighter than it appears in this picture.) It’s sort of cute, but in a frantic sort of way. There’s also a good chance this fabric may actually emit light while she’s sleeping. Strobe lights maybe. I’m thinking’ this may be destined for a different project…